Monday, April 02, 2007

Thirteen FUNKY minutes

I used an iTunes card last night to acquire some FUNKY songs for a project of mine:
I am creating a trio of "Funky Feet" playlists for use during workouts.
I am compiling the third of the playlists, and it opens with 13 FUNKY minutes -- the original 12-inch version of "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" by The Gap Band (pictured).
Remember the cheesy video for this song?
It was one of the first videos I can remember seeing during the early days of MTV and its imitators.
Phoenix, Ariz. had an MTV imitator -- a rather crude, locally produced video music channel -- during my high-school days. I cannot remember what it was called and Googling for information hasn't done anything to trigger my memory.
I do, however, remember seeing The Gap Band's "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" video several times per day.
"I... I-I... I-I-I won't forget it,
I... I-I... I-I-I won't forget it, You dropped a bomb on me, baby"
I am following the 13 minutes of "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" with the absolutely marvelous "Cold Heat" by Lil' Lavair and the Fabulous Jades, the title track from the essential "Cold Heat: Heavy Funk Rarities" compilation by Now-Again Records.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home