Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The O's on HFS and Gosha's great film

I listened to baseball last night thanks to the wonders of an MLB.com Gameday Audio subscription (audio of any game, home or away feeds available). I heard the Twins defeat the Orioles, 7-4, on the Orioles' Radio Network and 105.7 HFS (WHFS, the O's new FM flagship station).
There's something oddly comforting about listening to the baseball on the radio.
I guess because I have done it since I was a little kid.
The Giants were on the radio constantly during my youthful summers, especially when I visited my grandparents in Maxwell, Calif. My grandmother was a bigger Giants fan than I could ever hope to become, as impossible as that sounds.
After last night's ball game, I switched gears and watched Hideo Gosha's great 1965 film "Kedamono no Ken (Sword of the Beast)" on DVD.
Mikijiro Hira plays Gennosuke, a fugitive ronin samurai who stumbles upon a couple forced to pan for gold by their clan.
Gosha explores the nature of loyalty in the face of betrayal through plotting and frequent flashbacks.
Toshitada Tsuchiya's cinematography is memorable: He shoots many of the action scenes through weeds or past other visual obstructions. The result is a slightly disorienting, tense feel to the sword fights -- probably the feeling an observer would have at the scene.
I recommend both Gameday Audio for your listening pleasure and
"Kedamono no Ken (Sword of the Beast)" for your viewing pleasure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home