Monday, January 29, 2007

The peak of cool?

Last night before bed I crafted a 68-song playlist of Chet Baker songs for the iPod.
I want to start reading a Baker biography, and thought his music would make the best accompaniment.
The playlist begins with the first five songs from the CD "This Time The Dream's On Me," and were recorded in August 1953 at the Carlton Theatre in Los Angeles. I concluded the playlist with the eight songs on "The Italian Sessions" CD, originally recorded in March 1962.
These songs and the tunes in between -- including the vocal versions of songs from "The Best of Chet Baker Sings" -- probably mark the peak of Baker's musical output. They come before drug abuse and health problems began to steadily sap his talents.
Many jazz critics dismiss Baker as a light talent who gained fame through looks rather than sound, aided immensely by William Claxton's iconic photos of the late 1950s.
I guess I don't know enough about jazz. I enjoy listening to Chet, especially as he attempts to croon his way through songs.
Ornette Coleman summed up Baker's singing:
"Have you ever heard someone who couldn't sing, but did something to you emotionally?"
Baker probably wouldn't win American Idol, but I'll start listening to my playlist religiously today, walking on the treadmill and driving to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home