Friday, January 19, 2007

"Friday Question... It's the phrase that pays in so many ways!"

The emergence of all-music satellite radio and iPod playlists has ROUTE 1 readers longing for the days when disc jockeys with personality ruled the airwaves.
ROUTE 1 reader Brian C. submitted this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What radio disc jockey left a lasting impression on you, and why?"
Roseanne H. -- My all-time favorite was Frank Dill on KNBR. He was the AM DJ along with side kick Mike Cleary. I listened to them every morning on my commute from Concord to Vallejo and then from Sebastopol to Corte Madera. I once met Mike at a party in Concord. They were both very funny men. Bob not only met Frank and his wife, but enjoyed their company at his bed and breakfast once weekend in Bodega Bay. And Bob says that the Frank and Mike show was his favorite as well.
Rick T. -- 650 WSM Nashville, Tenn.'s Ralph Emery. A real Country radio legend. Everyone wishes they could be that good!
Mike M. -- Dr. Demento radically transformed my world view in the summer of 1986 when he played "My Fruit Loops" by ROCKIN' RAISIN & 40% MORE. The lyrics went something like this: "Don't mess with my Fruit Loops; I eat breakfast in my birthday suit; My family thinks that I am mighty cute; Don't mess with my Fruit Loops."
I also listened to Wolfman Jack in the early 80s in West Germany on the Armed Forces Radio & Television Network, commonly referred to by us kids as A-FARTS. Wolfman Jack always sounded as if he was broadcasting from just around the corner, and that anyone, especially young ladies, were welcome to drop by his studio while he was on air.
Mike D. -- This long-distance dedication goes out to... Casey Kasem!
I spent many Sunday afternoons during my youth following the countdown on American Top 40.
Locally, I remember listening to Paul Hemmer while getting ready for school, and tuning in to his old-time radio broadcasts on Sunday nights, back when he was on AM.
I just wish I had heard Nick Lagosi during his prime.
Erik H. -- As a kid growing up in the Bay Area in the mid-70s, you just had to love Dr. Don Rose.
Oh, don't get me wrong, Dr. Don -- born Donald Rosenberg -- could be so corny it made you cringe. But he also lightened up every single day while he introduced TOP 40 MUSIC on
KFRC AM 610 in San Francisco from 1973 to 1986.
With Dr. Don as its anchor, KFRC was voted "Station of the Year" four times by

Billboard Magazine.
Want to know a more lasting legacy?
I still can't see the city name "Sacramento" without thinking "Sacra-TOMATO," which is what Dr. Don always called our state capital.
Brian C. -- Growing up in the Chicago suburbs in the 1960s and early 1970s, I, like several gazillion tees, tuned in to WLS (890 AM). Occasionally, we'd drift over to the challenger, WCFL, but eventually we'd be back at the Big 89. WLS has a formidable lineup, including Dick Biondi, Larry Lujack, John "Records" Landecker and one of the first female (African-American female) "jocks" in Yvonne Daniels.
A great site, where you can hear an audio clip of DJs from days gone by, is located here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cooper said...

When was Nick Lagosi's "prime"? And what happened to that guy, anyway?

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home