Tuesday, November 14, 2006

It took me by surprise

I received the Lee "Scratch" Perry biography, "People Funny Boy" by David Katz, from Amazon last night.
I have been waiting for it since August, but apparently Amazon had to ship it from the UK and were waiting for the 2006 updated edition before sending it my way.
The phrase "musical genius" is among the most overused, but surely Perry's more than 40 years of producing reggae classics qualifies him in that category.
I used a Scratch discography I found on the Internet to help fashion a playlist of his productions on my iPod.
It ballooned from 88 songs to an unbelievable 104 -- more than six hours of music -- with the inclusion of Perry-produced classics from Bob Marley, Roland Alphonso, Dennis Alcapone, Junior Byles, Max Romeo and many more.
The sheer volume of Perry-produced songs on my iPod took me by surprise. Has there been a more prolific producer in Jamaican musical history.
I cannot imagine anyone other than Scratch fits that bill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home