Monday, November 13, 2006

I remember that! I remember that!

I have been tripping down memory lane the past few days, fueled by repeated viewings of Richard Linklater's "Dazed and Confused" and the sounds of The Eagles and Thin Lizzy blaring from my car speakers.
I think what "Dazed and Confused" does best is capture the vibe of the 1970s.
By combining lots of little details, Linklater opened a portal into the heart of the decade.
I didn't see too many muscle cars or stoned teenagers in 1976, but I saw enough of them for Linklater's film to trigger some other memories.
I remember thinking a girl in my fifth-grade class looked like Kristy McNichol.
I remember thinking "The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan" was OK, but that "Hong Kong Phooey" was much cooler -- especially when Henry the Janitor jumped in the filing cabinet and emerged in full costume.
I remember wondering if Bonne Bell lip smackers really tasted like 7up, Tootsie Rolls or Dr. Pepper.
I remembering what all of the fuss was about concerning "Jonathan Livingston Seagull." I hate seagulls! Rats with wings!
None of these things are in "Dazed and Confused," but I have been remembering these 1970s fads and phenomena because of the movie's vibe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home