Saturday, November 11, 2006

I remember these guys -- they terrorized me!

I have been watching Richard Linklater's brilliant "Dazed and Confused" and remembering what it was like for me in the 1970s.
I was 10 in 1976, the setting for Linklater's 1993 film. I was growing up in suburban Contra Costa County, where Concord and Pleasant Hill intermingle.
In Linklater's film, pot-smoking older teenagers perform ritualized acts of terror against badly dressed youngsters.
In my experience, pot-smoking older teenagers performed random acts of terror against badly dressed youngsters, such as myself.
Linklater's spot-on depiction of the 1970s -- the feathered hair, the questionable dress sense and the rockin' music -- makes me laugh at memories that once made me cower.
Perhaps that's why I love "Dazed and Confused" so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home