Friday, November 10, 2006

Gol-darnedest, rip-snortin-est FQ

Blame it on the comprehensive "Rough Guide to Westerns," but ROUTE 1 simply must ask the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What is y'all's faver-ite Western?"
Dave B. -- "Young Guns." "Doc, did you see the size of that chicken?"
Mike D. -- If an early 20th-century Montana setting qualifies, I'd pick "Legends of the Fall," because I can identify with the competition-yet-camaraderie of the brothers and the interaction with their father. The story is well-told and the Academy Award-winning cinematography is breath-taking. For a more classic feel (and in memory of my father, who loved Westerns), I'd choose "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly." My brothers and I still utter the dry-throated "Carson... Bill Carson..." line whenever we're parched.
Ellen B. -- Not a Western fan... Sorry!
Mary N.-P. -- Anything by Frankie Laine, especially "High Noon," "Rawhide," "Wild Goose" and "Gunfight at the OK Corral."
Scout S. -- "High Noon."
Rick T. -- "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral."
Erik H. -- I have a glorious trio of Westerns that I adore: Sergio Leone's "Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)," Sam Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch" (as Paul Schrader said: "No one has mastered the art of multi-camera, multi-speed editing like Peckinpah, even today") and my personal favorite, Sergio Corbucci's "Django."
As described in "The Rough Guide to Westerns:"
"Mudfighting whores, a coffin-dragging hero, a violin-playing dwarf bartender, a Ku Klux Klan priest forced to eat his own severed ear, Sergio Corbucci's blood-spattering Pop Art spaghetti Western has all these and more."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home