Sunday, November 05, 2006

A day for heroes

What a day for heroes!
Guitar hero Steve Earle (pictured) kicked it off.
I listened to his early classics, including "Guitar Town" while reading "The Rough Guide to Westerns."
Of course, that book is full of heroes, although I tend to favor the more ambiguous rather than the John Wayne types.
Chris Cooper's Sheriff Sam Deeds, from John Sayles' brilliant "Lone Star," is my type of hero. He bravely continues his search for the truth, even when it appears the truth will hurt himself, his family and friends.
The Tottenham Hotspur football club were heroes, too, as they defeated Chelsea, 2-1, to claim their first league victory against the champions in 16 years. I watched that match, then watched as the San Francisco 49ers eked out a 9-3 win over the Vikings. Hey, given how bad my BELOVED NINERS have been in recent years, even a meager win is heroic.
Our final hero of the day is natural-born hunter, MIKA THE CAT.
I like bats and appreciate the important ecological role they play.
However, if a bat inside our home swoops at my daughters and sends them into hysterics, that bat has got to go.
Armed with a broom (where *DID* that badminton racket go?), I chased the bat back into Kerstin's room, where it hid in a cluttered corner. Rather than upturn tables and add to the chaos, I sent Mika into the room to flush out the winged mammal.
She did, and with Mika and feline cohort Lorelie in pursuit, the three of us combined to defeat the bat. If we hadn't, the girls would have never gone upstairs again.
Three cheers for Mika. Hip, Hip, Hooray!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home