Sunday, October 29, 2006

Memorize this book and win ALL pub quizzes

My sister purchased the Sky Sports Football Yearbook for me during a recent trip to London, and my mom just delivered it to me after arriving for an Iowa visit from Reno, Nev.
Formerly known as "Rothman's Football Yearbook," this hefty tome features 1,056 pages stuffed with facts about every association football club in Britain. Oddly enough, my sister purchased the 1996-97 edition of the book a decade ago.
Then, as now, I have buried my nose in the book and I am filling every available bit of brain space with IMPORTANT FACTS.
For instance...
Did you know? Shortly after signing as a Bolton Wanderers professional, Eric Bell scored three goals for the reserves on Christmas Eve 1949 at Preston North End, but had the misfortune to break his leg there on Easter Saturday, missing the FA's tour to the West Indies.
Did you know? Northampton Town were formed in 1897 by school teachers connected with the Northampton and District Elementary Schools' Association.
Did you know? When Tottenham Hotspur signed former Barking amateur winger Les Miller from Sochaux in September 1936, he became the first player to be signed by an English club having played professionally in France.
The book goes on and on with important facts such as these, and as I read and remember them, I am also clearing my mind of more mundane items such as birthday dates, anniversaries, children's names, etc.
In fact, by the end of my current week's vacation, I should have the entire book down pat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home