Thursday, October 26, 2006

Happy Thursday with the Happy Hate Me Nots

I don't know why I have been in such a mood for punk rock lately.
Perhaps it is because I am off work next week -- my mom and step-dad come to town -- and I am feeling rambunctious.
Yeah, that's probably why.
Today I listened to Sydney's HAPPY HATE ME NOTS really loud.
No, make that REALLY LOUD.
Too loud, probably.
The band emerged in 1984 out of the ashes of punk band Positive Hatred.
Singer/guitarist Paul Berwick and lead guitarist Tim McKay formed the wonderfully named Happy Hate Me Nots and played high-energy punk-pop in the style of The Jam.
The band released a full-length album in 1988 and might have found American success through the San Francisco-based label Rough Trade. Record label politics were not in their favor, apparently, and the band got lost in a label reshuffling.
They were thus never able to tour the States, which probably fatally slowed their momentum. Too bad: I read that they performed a killer version of Bob Marley's "Lively Up Yourself."
I believe they have reformed, but most American-based music news sources seem oblivious to the Happy Hate Me Nots.
Here is the *EXTENT* of the All Music Guide biography of the band:
"This band made upbeat pop music from 1987 to 1988."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home