Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Down at the Twisted Wheel with The Fi-Dels

One of the reasons I love "Northern Soul" -- the mostly American, danceable, Sixties-era R&B music favored by DJs at British venues such as Manchester's Twisted Wheel (pictured) -- is the chance to discover "lost classics."
The competitive DJs at the clubs searched wide and far for *DIFFERENT* American singles to play and found songs that should have been HUGE but fell through the cracks of mainstream music instead.
Today's case in point: "Try a Little Harder" by The Fi-Dels.
Released by a rather obscure Los Angeles label, Keymen Records, "Try a Little Harder" sounds like it should be as well known as anything on Motown.
The song got lost in the shuffle amid all of the soul releases of the 1960s, so I only heard it thanks to a recent import CD from Britain.
I am so glad I rediscovered this song for myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home