Monday, October 09, 2006

I'm (not) with the band

If I started a pop band, I would want it to be just like Belle and Sebastian.
Here's why:
1) They craft uncannily catchy tunes.
2) They pen impossibly witty lyrics about school track teams and girls that wear boys' sweaters.
3) When they started the band, they had the sheer audacity to photograph their friends and issue those images during their initial publicity efforts.
For example, the Belle and Sebastian photo pictured features young Alex Kapranos, the future Franz Ferdinand leader. He wasn't in Belle and Sebastian. He just looked good next to a bicycle in Glasgow.
I think this unique approach to publicity photos served a pair of purposes:
1) It allowed the band to forge an early musical identity while enjoying peaceful anonymity.
2) It made then unassailably cool.
That would work for me if I started a pop band.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home