Friday, October 06, 2006

Duck tails and car fins

ROUTE 1 feels a little nostalgic with this week's FRIDAY QUESTION: What is your favorite FIFTIES song?
Annika H. -- "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley & His Comets. "One, two three o'clock, four o'clock rock!"
Mike M. -- If I had to pick just one, "I've Got a Woman" by Ray Charles, 1954. But I also like Hank Williams and Chuck Berry. Louis Armstrong and Billie Holiday were still around in the 1950s. I really like Dinah Washington's rendition of "All of Me" from the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival. It's on the DVD "Jazz on a Summer's Day" and you can watch and listen to the song on YouTube.
Dave B. -- Johnny Horton's "1814 (The Battle of New Orleans)".
Mike D. -- When I think of the Fifties, I think of Danny and the Junior's "At the Hop." It's a short and simple song, but what's more fifty-ish than a sock hop?
Erik H. -- Dwight "Whitey" Pullen's "Sunglasses After Dark" didn't chart at the time of its 1958 release, but has come to signify the epitome of 1950s' cool during the following decades. Battling cancer, Pullen eased out of the recording business by 1960. He briefly hosted a television show in my dad's hometown, Medford, Ore. before passing away in Los Angeles in 1961, age 31.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home