Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Punk rock, Gojira and Akira Ifukube

I cleared my head after a particularly long day at work with a 45-minute walk while listening to some vintage UK punk rock, followed by watching Ishiro Honda's original "Gojira (Godzilla)" on DVD.
I walked down to the Mississippi River while listening to songs such as "George Davis is Innocent" by Sham 69, "London Girls" by The Vibrators and "Still Life" by Alternative TV.
Then I watched Honda's haunting parable about the horrors of war.
Much is made of Eiji Tsuburaya's groundbreaking special effects, and rightly so.
Tonight, though, I concentrated on the effective use of Akira Ifukube's strident score (when you watch movies enough times, you can begin to concentrate on aspects such as the score).
Ifukube, who passed away earlier this year, scored almost all of the subsequent Godzilla films, as well as many of the "Zatoichi" films about the blind swordsman.
However, I don't think he ever composed music as compelling as that used in 1954's "Gojira."
It's effect -- like a splash of cold water in the face -- mirrored that of the punk rock I heard earlier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home