Sunday, August 27, 2006

Oreos and samurai

Kerstin discovered the world of samurai action films last night.
My 11-year-old daughter and I enjoyed hearing our friend Matt play a gig at a local wine bar/coffee house during the early evening hours. We came home with the air-conditioned house to ourselves, since my wife Jill and 7-year-old daughter Annika were sweating -- sorry, they call it "camping" -- at a local county park with Jill's aunt and uncle.
Kerstin and I decided to watch the 1968 film "Kiru!" on DVD while munching Oreo cookies.
"Kiru" is brilliant.
Director Kihachi Okamoto homages Spaghetti Westerns -- complete with windswept, deserted villages, extreme closeups, comic interludes and violent action. The joke, of course, is that Sergio Leone and Sergio Corbucci endlessly (shamelessly?) homaged early samurai films when concocting their Spaghetti Westerns.
Kerstin couldn't care less about the film historian's ironic view of "Kiru." She happily dipped Oreos in milk, listened to me reading subtitles and fell asleep on the couch before the climactic battle scene.
I don't remember my first samurai film experience, but I am guessing Kerstin will remember hers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home