Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Great songs rock me down the road

I just completed a three-and-a-half hour, round-trip drive from Dubuque to Williamsburg, Iowa to pick up the girls.
They had been staying in Grimes, Iowa (on the other side of Des Moines) and Williamsburg is the approximate half-way point.
For the drive down I rolled down the windows and cranked up the tunes.
It has been too long since I enjoyed "Five Guys Walk Into a Bar...," the four-disc box set by The Faces.
By the third song I heard -- "You Can Make Me Dance Sing or Anything" -- I was once again reminded of the greatness of The Faces.
Rod Stewart in his youth was a powerful vocalist, so well suited for bluesy rock.
Ron Wood was electrifying on guitar, too. Throw in Ian McLagan, Ronnie Lane and Kenney Jones from the Small Faces, and The Faces were a supergroup in everything but success.
Still, their lone hit, "Stay With Me," remains one of the greatest-sounding rock songs I have ever heard. A true classic.
After I had picked up the girls, their conversation passed the time en route home. For the solitary drive down, The Faces rocked me down the road.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home