Saturday, August 26, 2006

That guy looks so... familiar

As well he should!
Japanese actor Yoshio Tsuchiya has appeared in more than 80 films during a four-decade career, so it should come as no surprise that I recognized him while watching our latest DVD acquisition last night.
I was watching Kihachi Okamoto's 1968 film "Kiru (Kill)," and in particular clan official Matsuo Shiroku, when I felt quite certain that I had seen him somewhere before.
I checked the cast list and sure enough, it said "Yoshio Tsuchiya."
Tsuchiya made a stunning debut as the fiery farmer Rikichi in "Shichinin no Samurai (Seven Samurai)," a film I have watched repeatedly. Tsuchiya brings a burning intensity to every role I have ever seen him play, including that of Dr. Otani in "Kaiju Soshingeki (Destroy All Monsters)." In that role, he almost breathes as much fire into the film as his slightly larger co-star... a certain actor named Godzilla.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home