Thursday, August 24, 2006

I didn't break my neck!!!

I try not to dance while walking on the treadmill.
I have a recurring sense of dread that I will be dancing and my feet will become tangled and my sweaty hands will lose the grip of the support bars and I will fall face down on the revolving treadmill track without having time to pull the emergency "stop" key.
The end result of this sense of dread is a broken neck and the invariable embarrassment that would follow:
"You broke your neck... dancing... on a... treadmill?"
So I generally don't dance on the treadmill.
Until this morning.
I couldn't help myself!
I was listening to my "pop_reggae" playlist on the iPod and Harry J Allstars' brilliant "The Liquidator" flowed through the ear buds.
This classic instrumental reached No. 9 on the UK charts in October 1969 and was adopted as a theme for football clubs to blare out of their PAs before matches. West Bromwich Albion supporters probably hear this song in their sleep, as it was played continuously at the Baggies' matches.
Although credited to Harry J Allstars, producer Harry Johnson (for he is "Harry J") mostly just turned over the reins to Jamaican keyboard whiz Winston Wright.
Wright turns in a virtuoso performance, one that had me absent-mindedly dancing away on the treadmill this morning.
At the song's conclusion I realized my folly. I nervously glanced around to make sure I was still upright and my neck had not snapped in two.
I might play the song again while driving around today for work. I wonder if I can dance while driving a car?