Monday, August 28, 2006

Good day for reading... or fighting

I have the day off today and it is raining. The temperatures are more reminiscent of October than August, so it is an especially good day to read. Or fight.
The girls begin school tomorrow and the first bell cannot sound soon enough. At every opportunity today they have been at each other's throats, screaming at each other in a style best-described as "fiery histrionics." I imagine soap operas would center around this style of fighting, if soap operas primarily concerned themselves with who has to pick up the spilled beads in the bedroom or whether to watch Toon Disney or a design show on HGTV.
Apart from increasingly fraught episodes of refereeing the girls' fights, I have spent this day off sipping Famous Grouse and reading Peter Biskind's landmark history of the so-called "American New Wave" of filmmaking, "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls."
The brilliantly funny and informative "Film Snob's Dictionary" refers to "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls" as essential reading and dozens of pages into the text, I certainly agree.
I am currently reading about Warren Beatty's dogged efforts to convince Warner Bros. to make "Bonnie and Clyde," a film that changed Hollywood while highlighting the lessons of the Nouvelle Vague of France.
Of course, tomorrow I return to work and the sun will return to the sky. However, in all likelihood I will not have to listen to my daughters argue over who needs to pick up the Hello Kitty alarm clock, so it won't be all bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home