Saturday, February 25, 2006

I remember... when I used to play shoot 'em up...

I went on an iTunes shopping spree this morning.
Armed with a $15 gift card, I attempted to fill in some gaps in my R & B collection.
I purchased such essential tracks as:
"Everyday People" by Sly & The Family Stone.
"Could it be I'm Falling in Love" by The Spinners.
"Back Stabbers" by The O'Jays.
"Don't be Angry" by Nappy Brown.
"Riot in Cell Block No. 9" by The Robins (aka The Coasters).
and an absolutely brilliant song I had not heard in years...
"Cowboys to Girls" by The Intruders.
The Intruders -- Eugene "Bird" Daughtry, Robert "Big Sonny" Edwards, Samual "Little Sonny" Brown and Phil Terry (what... no nickname?!) -- formed in Philadelphia in 1960 and would be among my favorites simply for their Top 40 hit "(Love is Like a) Baseball Game."
"Cowboys to Girls," however, is nothing short of a STONE-COLD CLASSIC.
"Shoot 'em up, bang bang baby!"
It's the sort of song that I wish would last forever, instead of the mere 2:37.
"I went from cowboys to girls..."
It's simply one of the greatest songs Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff penned, and it might be the best iTunes purchase I have ever made!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home