Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Tall Cool One on a cloudy day

I am bound to live in the Seattle area one of these days. I have "almost" lived there twice, and they do say "three times is a charm." My dad almost received a work transfer to Seattle in the late 1970s. His employers sent him to Phoenix, instead, and that's where I went to high school. I almost went to the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Wash., but a last-second scholarship deal sent me to a college in Iowa instead. Given these two near misses, I am rather confident I'll be calling "the Emerald City" or its environs "home" one of these days. Good thing I like coffee. I thought about Seattle today, as I walked through an unusually cloud-draped, dreary Dubuque while listening to "Tall Cool One." This 1959 instrumental hit by Tacoma's The Fabulous Wailers weds a catchy piano riff with before-their-time, "crunchy" guitars. It seemed like a perfect song to hear while trying to shake myself out of a rather dark mood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home