Monday, January 02, 2006

Early front runners: Band of the year

Well, it might be a wee bit premature, but surely Arctic Monkeys should be considered among the front runners for 2006 Band of the Year accolades. Perhaps.
I listened to the Sheffield band's debut, "Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not," as I went walking just now. The band's propulsive sound echoes Bloc Party and Franz Ferdinand, but vocalist Alex Turner isn't like your everyday lyricist.
The youngster cites the "Bard of Salford," 1970s' punk-poet John Cooper Clarke among his prime influences, and it shows. Cut through Turner's South Yorkshire dialect and his words come across all biting and funny.
Plus, in "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" the band have one of those "hey-I'm-dancing-to-a-rock-song" numbers that just makes you smile. And dance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home