Friday, December 30, 2005

Best of 2005

Route 1 readers ponder the final FRIDAY QUESTION for 2005... What was the best new song you heard this year, and what made it so special?
Dave B. -- Green Day "Holiday."
Rick T. -- The song "Blues Man". Recorded by several people, but it's out now by George Jones and Dolly Pardon. Even though the song was not written about George Jones, it sure does fit him. If anyone out there don't know who George Jones is, listen to the song and then do the research. He is the Elvis Presley of Country Music and a REAL live legend!
Shannon H. -- "Gold Digger"” by Kanye West. You can't help but dance. Even if sexist, I just cannot resist it.
Mike D. -- I'd be hard-pressed to name ANY song of 2005, much less anything this millennium. Darn these kids and their blasted music nowadays! Now where are my Night Ranger cassettes?
Diane H. -- I think "Gold Digger" by Kanye West is my favorite song of 2005, but it's quite possibly a three-way tie with "Dirty Little Secret" by All-American Rejects and "Since You Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson. They're all just so damn catchy -- in a good way. I can tell you my absolute least favorite song of 2005 is that f*cking Humps song by Black Eyed Peas. I think its immense popularity is a sign of the apocalypse.
Inger H. -- The Weakerthans "A New Name for Everything." Though it came out in 2003, I only discovered it this year. It's a catchy little melody sweetened with a bit of twang. The lyrics are clever and thoughtful and the whole is one of my favorite songs ever: When the one-ways collude with the map that you folded wrong, and the route you abandoned is always the path that you probably should be upon. When the bottle-cap ashtrays and intimate's ears are all full with results of your breath, and the threads of your fear are unfurled with the tiniest pull.
Erik H. -- I had heard perhaps one or two songs by Sufjan Stevens and thought he was just another one of those CLEVER NEO-FOLKSTERS. Then, this year, he produced his homage to ILLINOIS and I heard "John Wayne Gacy, Jr." and I realized Sufjan was a GENIUS and I was SO WRONG. A study of a serial killer, it also points to possible similarities to the singer himself. All built into a exquisitely beautiful song, with subdued piano and quietly strummed guitar. It's so easy to become discouraged by the current music scene. This song gave me hope for both the present and the future. Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home