Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Sex Pistols? That'll never fly

It's not every day you that you can exchange e-mails with a bloke who auditioned for the Sex Pistols. I did this week, when I corresponded with guitarist Faebhean Kwest.
Kwest has said he wanted to audition for Sparks originally, but instead played for Malcolm McLaren. He turned down McLaren's gang as being no-hopers (a career choice he laughs about now) and instead teamed up with Sean Purcell to form The Raped. They were among the first UK punk bands to play in Belfast and eventually mutated into the Cuddly Toys, one of my favorite of the early 80s bands.
Unlike many of their safety pins-and-bondage trousered brethren, Cuddly Toys emphasized glam elements in their act. They thus presaged the glam-metal movement by about five years or so. I e-mailed Kwest about his Cuddly Toys Web site and in e-mailing me back, he enquired about Dubuque's location after updating me on Web-site expansion plans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home