Sunday, December 11, 2005

Did I mention it's PUNK WEEK?

Probably not... Since I just decided this week will be PUNK WEEK about 30 seconds ago!
Still enraged over my fantasy football team's complete lack of scoring ability, I have been trawling the various blogs devoted to punk music while listening to a gem from my past -- the "Blatant Localism" EP by Jodie Foster's Army.
Although I grew up in the San Francisco suburbs, I went to high school in Phoenix, Ariz. -- home of the original skate punks, Jodie Foster's Army.
In the early 1980s, Jodie Foster's Army represented all that was the thing called "punk" to me. They named themselves after an actress who unknowingly influenced a would-be presidential assassin. Things just don't get much more punk than that!
I arrived in Phoenix in 1984, a few years after J.F.A. hit their creative peak. However, among alternative hipsters (I knew one or two) these were the guys who ruled the roost in the Valley of the Sun.
Listening to Brian Brannon, Don Pendleton and the boys once again, I am reminded of a much more youthful time.
Check out blogs such as 7 Inch Punk, located here and Dressed for the H Bomb, located here for more information and some awesome music.
Oh yeah... and shout "ANARCHY!" every opportunity you get this week, OK?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home