Friday, December 02, 2005

radio history


Route 1 readers head to the airwaves by answering this week's FRIDAY QUESTION... What is your all-time favorite radio station and why?
Matt K. -- WGN (Chicago). It's a connection to what radio used to be -- deeply driven by personality. It's not like national radio. You can connect with these people. It's like having a friend in the car with you.
Gary D. -- WLS (Chicago) in the late 70s and early 80s had Larry Lujack with his sidekick Little Tommy Edwards and they would have "Animal Stories." It was 15 minutes of laughing. If you were driving you would almost drive off the road, you would be laughing so hard.
Jill H. -- I would have to say KLYV (Dubuque)... from my high school years. They played a great mix and there was not too much talk and they also took requests and actually played them!
Ellen B. -- 101.3 KDWB in Minneapolis. We had to switch because we moved. Now I have to listen to 105.3. There are not too many choices in Dubuque.
Rick T. -- AM 650 WSM Nashville, Tenn., home of the Grand Ole Opry. I listen to it every chance I get. Thanks to computers, I can listen anytime of the day.
Dave B. -- When I get Sirius Radio it will be Channel 22. It plays all the music I used to listen to in college.
Rob K. -- I am such a channel surfer on the radio dial. I fill every preset I have in our cars and on my digital receivers. Probably my favorites are WHHI and KUNI (public radio), for music KGRR and KDTH, for news KDTH and WBBM and for relaxation KSUI (classical). Besides that, nothing is more fun than scanning the airwaves late at night to bring in stations from Denver to New York, Dallas and Atlanta. Then there is shortwave....
Mike D. -- Back in the day, D93 (KAT-FM's "album rock" predecessor) was THE station to listen to in the Dubuque area. Now, in my old age, I find myself flipping between 107.1 (WPVL) and 107.5 (WDBQ) on my car radio. They seem to play a lot of forgotten oldies -- top 40 hits I haven't heard in 25 to 30 years -- plus a lot of classic Bee Gees.
Kerstin H. -- 101.1 The River. They play all the country music I want to hear.
Erik H. -- Earlier this week I wrote about my all-time favorite radio station, San Francisco's late KQAK ("The Quake"). Here is a story about my second-favorite radio station: My grandfather lived in the tiny town of Maxwell, Calif. -- about an hour north of Sacramento and far from most of the Bay Area radio stations. At night, you could idly twist an A.M. radio dial and discover a number of far-flung stations. One night in the early 1990s, I stumbled upon "Coast 1040." Vancouver, B.C.'s CKST was a real rare find, as its programming mirrored that of the F.M. alternative music stations I loved from San Francisco. That night, with the atmospheric conditions just right, I listened music ranging from vintage UK punk to the latest release by otherwise unknown British Columbia bands. I just checked, and now "Coast 1040" is no more. It is an all-sports station called "Team 1040" and it carries the B.C. Lions CFL games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home