Friday, November 25, 2005

FRIDAY QUESTION: Holiday Travel Edition

'Tis the season for holiday travel. My sister is in Hong Kong, Thailand and Burma this week, my mom and step-dad are in Mexico and Jill, the girls and I just spent the day in, er, Cedar Rapids, Iowa...
Doesn't seem so fair, does it? No, it sure doesn't.
Alas, 'tis the season for holiday travel, so Route 1 readers have answered this week's FRIDAY QUESTION: What is your favorite driving song?
Diane H. -- I have an entire favorite driving CD, actually: "Graceland" by Paul Simon. I like to sing along and imagine that I'm on a road trip to Memphis.
Mary N.-P. -- "On the Road Again" by Canned Heat. It just reverberates through me and the car in a perfect traveling tempo, not too fast (so you don't keep speeding up until you're doing 85 when the song ends) and not too slow. Try it sometime when you're "on the road again."
Jill H. -- The girls and I always listen to three CDs when we travel: Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney and Garth Brooks.
Brian C. -- Not a holiday classic, certainly, but I've got to say "Radar Love" by Golden Earring. "The radio is playing some forgotten song/Brenda Lee's comin' on strong/The road has got me hypnotized/And I'm speedin' into a new sunrise..." I've got to keep an eye on my speedometer, lest I spend Thanksgiving in a holding cell.
Rick T. -- For an old trucker like me, it has to be "Six Days on the Road" by Dave Dudley. Hammer down!!!
Mike D. -- There are so many good choices, so I let fate be my co-pilot as I spun the radio dial on my drive back to work from lunch break. The first song I heard was ZZ Top's "La Grange." Maybe not as wholesome a locale as Grandma's house, but it makes driving there a bit more fun. A how, how, how, how!
Erik H. -- "There's a speed zone ahead, all right/I don't see a cop in sight/Six days on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight." Yep, I gotta agree with Rick on this question.
Whenever I am driving a long distance, say, on an interstate, I always imagine what it must be like to be a long-haul trucker. I imagine the lifestyle must just as Dave Dudley described it in his 1963 trucking classic, "Six Days on the Road."
"I.C.C. is checking on down the line/I'm a little overweight and my log's three days behind/But nothing bothers me tonight/I can dodge all the scales all right/Six days on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight."
I have one more great travel song I adore, albeit from an entirely different genre and era. The live version of Underworld's "Shudder/King of Snake," a techno/rock gem from 2000, seems to propel my car forward with its relentless beat and repetitive lyrics. Perfect for driving!

1 Comments:

Blogger Captain Victoria said...

As a real Kenny Chesney fan you saw the TV show "somewhere in the sun". Did you feel the urge to walk in his footsteps, to visit the places he was talking about, to experience the sunsets he showed you?
We can get you there - on a Caribbean sailing vacation.
Start your Virgin Islands yacht charter in St. Thomas in the Marina American Yacht Harbor in Red Hook, where Kenny keeps his motor yacht. Cruise to St. John and have a burger at his favorite beach bar "Woody's". Make a tour over the island and see the gorgeous views from the hilltops. Anchor in front of palm fringed beaches like Cannel Bay or Trunk Bay and dive into the turquoise waters for a swim or snorkel trip. Have a drink in the cockpit of your crewed charter yacht "when the sun goes down" and get blown away by an indescribable sunset. Sail the BVI and visit one of his featured restaurants at Jost van Dyke, "Sydney's love and peace" and have a delicious lobster meal. Swing in the hammock at White Bay and experience yourself the feeling of "living a different pace".
No shoes, no shirt, no problem!

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home