Friday, November 25, 2005

Farewell to "El Beatle"


I have been listening to the tributes to George Best pour in to BBC Radio Five Live via the Internet today.
The former Manchester United and Northern Ireland star passed away today age 59.
I have read many stories about Bestie over the years, particularly how he redefined artistic football on the pitch and redefined soccer celebrity off the pitch.
His international playboy lifestyle eventually caught up with him, and the Belfast native died as a result of illnesses related to his chronic alcoholism.
He certainly reflected the Swingin' Sixties, and he was the first footballer to be perceived as a rock star.
My favorite George Best quote? "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home