Sunday, December 11, 2005

Wallace: Please invent a fantasy football enhancer!

Alas, I am afraid it is too late even for one of Wallace's fanciful (and often slightly wrong) contraptions to save the Hogstrom family's fantasy football team.
Our fantasy team picked a terrible weekend to quit scoring touchdowns -- the first weekend of the playoffs. Usual point producers Carson Palmer (1 TD today) and LaDainian Tomlinson (0 TD) did next-to-nothing, so we finish out of the money.
Rather than subject myself to the ongoing humiliation of poor NFL results flashed on the television screen, I grabbed 6-year-old Annika and we watched the initial trio of Wallace and Gromit classics on DVD -- "A Grand Day Out," "A Close Shave" and "The Wrong Trousers."
These claymation shorts work so well on so many levels. They are funny and clever and even thrilling (the toy-train-bound chase scene with the penguin in "Wrong Trousers" comes close to perfect moviemaking). I have always been a great admirer of "Thunderbirds," and Wallace and Gromit creator Nick Park so obviously adores the overly complicated technology of "Thunderbirds," too.
Annika and I watched and laughed and sat blissfully unaware that NFL results were all going wrong. Did I mention I am a lifelong San Francisco 49ers fan? They were beaten by the Seahawks, 41-3. Oh dear. Perhaps I should cue up the Wallace and Gromit DVD again: The long, unfruitful NFL season has not yet run its awful course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home