Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Feederz: Please stop scaring me

If a community becomes too complacent and conformity begins to grow among its members, the best punk rock can roar through, scaring society back into a healthy, questioning unsettledness.
As Route 1 continues to celebrate PUNK WEEK, I'll admit that the Feederz have been scaring the crap out of me since I was 15 years old.
Like Jodie Foster's Army, the Feederz hailed from Phoenix, Ariz. -- where I attended high school. My first exposure to the Feederz came from the Phoenix New Times alternative newspaper, which published a photo of Feederz lead singer Frank Discussion (possibly not his real name) walking around town with a dead rat hanging from his mouth.
I first saw that photo about 22 years ago, and it has been scaring the crap out of me ever since.
Part of punk's appeal lies in its ability to consistently shock and outrage (although, try telling that to the look-alike "punk" fans who purchase millions of records by bands more comfortable appearing on MTV2 than in someone's garage party). Songs never seem to shock me, but the image perpetuated by the Feederz never stops shocking me despite the passing of decades.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home