Friday, December 16, 2005

SF's Pistols, perhaps?

I am cleaning out the basement today -- the "working" portion of my "working vacation" during Route 1's PUNK WEEK. While cleaning, I am listening to some punk rock oldies such as "Hot Wire My Heart" by Crime.
I was only 10 years old when San Francisco's legendary Crime first unleashed their brand of punk on an unsuspecting world.
As I grew up in the Bay Area, however, I heard about Crime in real referential tones from older alternative music fans.
The lads in Crime -- Johnny Strike, Frankie Fix, Ripper and Chris Cat -- billed themselves as "San Francisco's First Rock n Roll Band," and while that appears slightly off the mark, I think of them as San Francisco's Sex Pistols.
When "Hot Wire My Heart" came out in 1976, Britain's New Musical Express reviewed it as an essential purchase for "people who run fanzines." I would add "people about to form punk bands," because from what I heard, Crime influenced a generation of Bay Area kids to do just that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home