Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Don't shoot the dialogue coach!

I had to work the late shift yesterday and when I returned home to an empty house (Jill and the girls remained in central Iowa for an additional day), I decided to watch one of the DVDs I received for Christmas.
I chose "Reservoir Dogs," certainly one of the most stylish releases of the past dozen years.
It remains my favorite Quentin Tarantino film, perhaps because of the film's obvious reflection of Nouvelle Vague classics. I love the hand-held, documentary style. I love the black humor. I especially love the cast. Harvey Keitel is great. I have always loved Steve Buscemi and the rest of the gang are superb. I adore the work of Tim Roth and I laughed my head off when I watched one of the bonus-feature interviews that accompanies the DVD.
Roth is an English actor who was playing an American (he was also ostensibly a good guy -- a cop -- who was in effect the "bad guy" within the community of diamond thieves, which I find an interesting juxtaposition of roles). During the interview, he admits to working long hours with dialogue coach Suzanne Celeste in order to master the Southern California accent. Now here comes the hilarity: Celeste plays a cameo role as the woman driver who shoots Roth's Mr. Orange in the stomach as he and Mr. White commandeer her car. Mr. Orange shoots her in return. In return for what? All those long hours of running dialogue? Hmmm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home