Monday, December 26, 2005

Just one CD present, but it is a great one

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
I returned today after several days in central Iowa, where Jill's side of the family combined with my west-coast family members for a big weekend of holiday festivities.
My sister and I drove back to Dubuque last night (she returned to San Francisco today), listening to some CDs we received for Christmas. While she received discs by Coldplay, Matt Pond PA and others, I received only one musical present this year -- the three-disc Trojan Mod Reggae Box Set.
It is wonderful. The music on the three discs cover the period of 1962 to 1970, mixing early ska and rocksteady classics with Booker T. and the MG-like instrumentals. I had to purge my iPod of some other, classic tunes in order to make room for this new set of songs. It will be worth it, however. These songs never seem to age.
My other gifts included a quartet of DVDs, notably "Reservoir Dogs," "Rushmore," "Ghost World" and the complete season of the BBC's mid-90s comedy classic "Knowing Me Knowing You," starring Steve Coogan as chat-show host Andy Partridge. Now, I just need to find the time to watch them all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home