Wednesday, January 16, 2013

With this much "Freewheelin'" I'm afraid I'm a freak

"Rambling, Gambling Willie," "Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues," "Let Me Die in My Footsteps" ...
I knew I was a BOB DYLAN fan. It never occurred to me I could become a DYLAN FREAK until last night.
Wanting to explore more fully the origins of Dylan's career, last night I crafted a 24-song playlist combining tracks from his second album, "THE FREEWHEELIN' BOB DYLAN," with outtakes from those recording sessions -- with the track list following the order of recording at the sessions.
"Talkin' Hava Negeilah Blues," "Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues," "Baby, I'm in the Mood for You" ...
I love this early Dylan, which ranges from American anthems such as "Blowin' in the Wind" to complicated relationship songs such as "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right."
According to "THE ROUGH GUIDE TO BOB DYLAN," the outtakes from "Freewheelin'" were strong Dylan songs that simply became left behind, shoved to the side by classics such as "Masters of War" and "Girl From the North Country."
Dylan was simply developing too quickly for all of his songs to fit on one album -- and he hadn't invented the double album yet!
My playlist demonstrates that theory -- and it's fun to hear, too.
Even if it makes me a freak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home