Friday, October 28, 2011

We'd have a blast, if I had Orioles

I've always been intrigued by this building on the corner of Central Avenue and 16th Street in DUBUQUE.
It's probably apartments now, but the facade suggests a VINTAGE NIGHTCLUB -- something of a rarity in Dubuque, where good old-fashioned Midwestern taverns tend to dominate.
The dilapidated neon sign reads "ORIOLES," which again suggests a nightclub.
I always think that if I had enough money, I would purchase the building, renovate the facade and the sign, and create my own JAZZ CLUB.
Dubuque had a jazz club a few years ago, and we listened to a combo there (a coworker and I had taken a JAZZ APPRECIATION COURSE at the same time).
Lack of patrons doomed the jazz club, perhaps predictably, and the new owners converted it into a sports bar -- like we need more of those.
Yep, if I had the resources, Orioles would be mine and I would "return" it to the former glory I imagine it having.
We'd play jazz there. We'd have good whiskey. We'd have a blast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home