Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday Question left out in the cold

The dog just broke her individual record for shortest outdoor excursion to relieve herself.
Why?
Because it's C-C-C-C-COLD outside!
ROUTE 1 readers recall chilling times of old by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What is the coldest you've ever f-f-f-felt?"
KERI M. -- One year, my brother was playing outdoor hockey and my sister and I had to stay and watch him, because we were too young to walk home by ourselves. We exchanged clothing and hid behind a garbage dumpster until he was done. I still remember how my fingers felt.
INGER H. -- Pretty much any time I wade in the surf at a northern California beach... Yow!!! It hurts!!!
BRIAN M. -- That's easy. It was a point in December 1990 in Lakeview. It was my first full winter there and not quite two years before you and Jill arrived. We had a stretch of weather where the temperature dipped to zero and below, and dropped to -20 degrees at night. I remember one one of these 0 degree days, with the wind howling, a friend and I moved my stuff from the south end of town to the apartment at which I spent most of my time in Lakeview.
JOHN S. -- One year at Ice Fest I put on Troy Henkels' dry suit and went into the river. I was dry, but damn cold!
KERSTIN H. -- I've been very cold but the coldest would be when. I was waiting for the bus the day when it was only like -30 below... even tho I was only there for like 5 minutes it still felt like it took me all day to warm up again!
JIM S. -- I distinctly remember this, even though it was so long ago. One night when I was a junior in college, I was walking the mile or so from campus to my Regent Street Apartment complex in Madison, Wis. As is common with students (male students?), I wasn't dressed warm enough for the evening (no hat). It was about 10 degrees, but the wind was whipping in my face as I walked down some railroad tracks, which was a shortcut. I tried jogging, but it made it worse. It was the longest mile I've ever trekked.
SANDYE V. -- One winter in the 1990s (I think) we had an actual temp of about 30 below (not the wind chill -- the real deal) and it was so cold that we'd have to fire up the car and drive it around on our lunch break so that the gasline didn't freeze. And it was wear-your-longjohns-in-the-office weather, too.
RICK T. -- Eight years ago on the dock at Roadway Express in the middle of winter! Never again!
BEKAH P. -- Once, as a child, I fell through ice into a small creek in my grandparents' timbers. My brother, who could run faster than me, chivalrously offered to run back and get Grandpa, who would come and pick me up with the truck. About an hour passed, and by this point, my clothes were freezing to me. I trudged up to my grandparents' house, where my brother was drinking hot cocoa. He had forgotten about me. The jerk.
MIKE D. -- The coldest my HANDS ever felt was probably during my days at Loras College, circa 1982. Of course gloves weren't cool for walking between classes on campus. I remember one day when I went from Keane Hall to the basement (actually, it might have been the boiler room) of Old St. Joe's for a sculpture class. My left hand was wrapped around textbooks and an oversized spiral notebook. When I got to class, my hand was so frozen, I didn't think I'd be able to straighten my fingers to do any work.
BRIAN C. -- Christmas break 1975-76. Drove from Columbia, Missouri, to suburban Chicago with a malfunctioning climate system (automatic, with no blower switch) blowing out air conditioning air the entire time. Driving and scraping the inside of the windshield for 7 hours! I didn't thaw out until 1982.
ROSEANNE H. -- Standing on a pier in northern Holland overlooking the sea with the wind blowing in November. My tear ducts froze and I have problems now with any wind in my face. IT Was way too cold!
ERIK H. -- I have lived in some pretty cold places (here, for example), but the coldest I have ever felt was during what should have been a delightful, nighttime stroll across the Brooklyn Bridge. A native Californian with no real conception of winter -- despite the fact I was attending college in Iowa -- I wore only a sweatshirt for the January trek across the glorious old span. I still shiver th-th-thinking about it.
(NOTE:
ROUTE 1 FRIDAY QUESTION will return in two weeks -- after we thaw out.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home