Thursday, October 20, 2011

Savanna Army Depot: You'll have a blast (possibly literally)

I spent most of yesterday exploring SAVANNA, ILL., part of a "day-trip" series of stories I am writing for the newspaper.
En route home, I was able to visit a portion of the former SAVANNA ARMY DEPOT site. The 13,062-acre area was a weapons-testing facility from 1917 to 2000. A portion is being converted to business-park space and another large area of the former depot has been designated a National Fish and Wildlife Refuge.
The vast majority of the site is off-limits to visitors -- there's the little problem of UNEXPLODED ORDNANCE remaining from decades of firing weapons and storing ammunition.
I was able to catch glimpses of the area's military past, with strange, decaying buildings behind towering barbed-wire fencing.
I thought the buildings would provide excellent sets for science fiction or horror films.
There are also plenty of signs warning visitors of the area's hidden, explosive legacy.