Monday, October 24, 2011

A result like a thunderbolt

The pundits had predicted a cagey match -- like a cup final -- and I had no reason to disagree.
Those expectations are why yesterday's result of the 161st Manchester derby reverberated like a thunderbolt.
MANCHESTER UNITED 1-6 MANCHESTER CITY
The champions were well and truly blitzed, having a man sent off and conceding six goals in a top-flight home match for the first time since Sept. 10, 1930.
I watched the encounter live on television. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
I recognized that Roberto Mancini's side was full of talented players. I was surprised at how Manchester United seemed to have no answer for the creativity of David Silva and James Milner.
I recognized all eyes would be on Mario Balotelli, who hours before had set part of his house on fire by shooting off fireworks. I was surprised he rose to the challenge, scoring Manchester City's first two goals (and showing a sense of humor with his T-shirt message: "Why Always Me?").
I recognized that the champions were probably not as strong as last season. I was surprised by the way in which they seemed to switch off mentally in the game's final moments, enabling the visitors to score three goals from the 89th minute on.
It was certainly a memorable match. I feel fortunate to say I witnessed a little history.

1 Comments:

Blogger Webbie - FootieAndMusic said...

Boring boring City.

Ok a proper comment:

What astounded me was how simple it was for City when it came to the later goals.
Yes the Utd defenders were deflated and had pretty much given up by then because of the sending off, but still... the simplicity for City to knock in numbers 3 and 4.

I mean at one point Fletcher had got scored what I have to admit was a great goal - and usually with Man U they never let their heads drop, keep going until the final whistle. (I was half expecting another and a more gripping end). But no. There was no reply, no spirited defence. Nobody even tried.

I will point a finger at Ferdinand. He was invisible throughout the game. Capello should not even consider him any more. The same for Fergie too, he needs to look for somebody else to fill that spot.

As for Man City - this isn't a turning point, just another step. As I said above you play until the final whistle. Keep focused. The end of the season is still a long way off yet.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home