Sunday, October 23, 2011

Slowly, enjoyably working my way through Miles Davis' life, work

RICHARD COOK takes a rather unique -- yet seemingly appropriate -- approach to his biographical subject in "IT'S ABOUT THAT TIME: MILES DAVIS ON AND OFF RECORD."
Cook presents Davis' life in discographical order, detailing the tracks of each album as he relates what was happening in the trumpeter's life at the time. I have been reading it slowly, with purpose.
Once I arrive at a chapter on an album I own, I stop, listen to the record, then read the chapter. I re-listen to segments of the album as well, based on Cook's insights that I have just read. (It helps that we have approximately 23 hours of Davis' music on CD/iTunes.)
It makes for slow-going, but highly enjoyable, progress through a book.
I read about/listened to "KIND OF BLUE" and "SKETCHES OF SPAIN" today. I am going to save "SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME FOR TOMORROW."
Listening to jazz in between watching sports on television is a fantastic way to spend a weekend. I already knew that, but this weekend has cemented that opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home