Saturday, September 17, 2011

Equaled, maybe, but never bettered

"Thinkin of a master plan. Cuz ain’t nuthin but sweat inside my hand. So I dig into my pocket, all my money is spent. I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint. So I start my mission -- leave my residence. Thinkin' how could I get some dead presidents."
I still can't think of a better lyrical flow to open a hip-hop song than the beginning of "PAID IN FULL," the title track of the 1987 landmark album by ERIC B. & RAKIM.
I've been listening to the classic record often.
Eric Barrier and Rakim (born William Michael Griffin Jr.) were innovative twice over.
Eric B., because he was one of the first DJs to regularly incorporate funk and other samples into his beats. Rakim because of that aforementioned lyrical flow. He would routinely utilize internal rhymes and other poetic devices in his songs.

I am admittedly OLD SCHOOL, but I have heard more recent examples of hip-hop -- I have teen and tween daughters, remember? -- but I have yet to hear anything that has bettered "Paid in Full." Equaled by a few, maybe, but never bettered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home