Thursday, September 15, 2011

From chattering teeth to tapping toes

A WIND-CHILL READING?
It's too early to have a wind-chill reading!
Apparently not: Our current wind-chill reading is 30 degrees.
KERSTIN and I drove to her driver's education class at the high school early this morning and it marked the first time this season that my teeth were chattering.
The sun is coming up now, and the daytime high temperature should rise to a slightly more palatable -- but nonetheless unseasonably cool -- 59.
In honor of that special number, I am listening to an album recorded and released in 1959 -- "BEN WEBSTER MEETS OSCAR PETERSON."
It features a pair of jazz giants, the Canadian pianist Peterson and the American tenor saxophone player Webster.
Webster, a.k.a. "The Brute," starred with DUKE ELLINGTON before spending his final years in Europe, where his influence expanded throughout the continent's jazz players.
I've always loved his sound -- it invariably prompts me to tap my toes.
I'm hoping his toe-tapping sax playing helps me battle these chilly temperatures. If I start tapping my toes, perhaps warmth will spread from my feet on up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home