Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A tale of British Invaders

As I read a history of THE WHO, and listen to the band's albums this week, I am reminded how my attitudes toward the BRITISH INVASION participants have changed during the years.
The Who were my favorites as a kid.
Sure, I love the BEATLES and the ROLLING STONES, but I have never been one to follow the crowd, and was instead drawn to the proto-punk excitement and color of the Who.
Now, as I age, another combo has taken its place atop my personal British Invasion pantheon.

I find myself more regularly drawn to THE KINKS, particularly the stories of middle age and nostalgia that RAY DAVIES presented on "The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society" and "Arthur."

I am only now uncovering all of Davies' brilliance, his genius.

PETE TOWNSHEND said as much in an UNCUT magazine interview from 2004:

"If you look at Who history, it's easy to forget we started with 'I Can't Explain,' which was a desperate copy of The Kinks. I obviously worship -- well, actually, worship isn't the word, I exalt -- Ray Davies, but also Dave Davies. The Kinks were spectacularly brilliant. People in America talk about 'The Beatles, the Stones, the Who.' For me, it's the Beatles, the Stones, the Kinks. They were the ones."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home