Saturday, April 16, 2011

I need to hear more Nightingales

The weather has gone beyond dreary. After pelting us with rain yesterday, we woke to falling snow today -- April 16, by the way.
I decided I'd better listen to THE NIGHTINGALES.

The Nightingales are a British post-punk combo who played more PEEL SESSIONS than any band barring THE FALL (one of my absolute favorite bands).

The late, influential disc jockey JOHN PEEL presciently described The Nightingales when he said:

"Their performances will serve to confirm their excellence when we are far enough distanced from the 1980's to look at the period rationally, and other, infinitely better known bands stand revealed as charlatans."

I admit: My Nightingales best-of album languished in my collection until recently, when I discovered Peel was completely correct in his assessment.

Songs such as "Idiot Strength," "Which Hi-Fi" and "Urban Ospreys," among many others, stand tall as towering achievements in alternative music.

I feel shamed I ignored them as long as I did, and feel compelled to rectify my ignorance.

I need to listen to more Nightingales.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home