Sunday, May 23, 2010

Waking up to Guitar Slim

I tagged GUITAR SLIM as "Blues" on my iPod, but the raucous music produced by Eddie Lang (1936-1985) really defies easy categorization.
Except to say it's great.

I am listening to the Guitar Slim compilation "SUFFERIN' MIND" while waiting for the rest of the family to wake up this morning.

Lang (a.k.a. Guitar Slim) follows in the tradition of good-time music from New Orleans. There's elements of the blues and jazz (and even rock, probably) in his blend of R&B. I wish I could have seen him perform: Guitar Slim would dye his hair to match his brightly colored suits and he would wade out into the crowd thanks to 350 feet of cord between his guitar and amplifier.

The Guitar Slim song "The Things That I Used to Do" sold more than a million copies in 1954 and is listed by the ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME as one of the 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll.

Check him out... it will do you some good.

1 Comments:

Blogger brujo said...

The photo is Eddie Langlois aka Eddie Lang , Guitar Slim aka Eddie Jones is the artist you are listening too.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home