Saturday, May 15, 2010

Up to my ears in congestion and the blues

I've been enduring a DEVIL OF A COLD by listening to "THE HIGH SHERIFF FROM HELL."
PEETIE WHEATSTRAW
(born William Bunch) was one of the most popular bluesmen in the early 1930s.

Mostly accompanying himself on piano -- although photographed holding a resonator guitar -- Wheatstraw crafted a demonic persona for himself.

In song, he called himself "THE DEVIL'S SON-IN-LAW" or the aforementioned Sheriff.

I listened to a compilation of Wheatstraw's songs earlier today, as the congestion in my head and chest seemed to have reached its peak (at least, I hope).
Wheatstraw's songs touch on gambling, gunning and trouble he found on "Cake Lane" in the slums of St. Louis.

There's something about the miserable nature of having a cold that responds to the blues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home