Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Given a reason to enjoy

I wish I could wave a wand and all of my CDs would magically appear on my IPOD. Instead, loading CDs has been a laborious process (if only for the fact that I prefer to include album covers with the track information). On the negative ledger, this painstaking approach to adding music means I have only reached the halfway point in the addition of my jazz collection to my iPod. On the positive ledger, my laborious task has prompted me to listen to some albums I haven't heard in months. "THE BLUES AND THE ABSTRACT TRUTH" by OLIVER NELSON is today's case in point.
It's really one of my favorite albums, perfect for driving in the car with the sunroof opened, the sun streaming through.
Nelson (1932-1975) was a saxophone player whose real strength lay in composition. On 1961's "The Blues and the Abstract Truth," he put his compositional ideas in practice while surrounding himself with a veritable all-star cast of jazz musicians: Eric Dolphy (alto saxophone and flute), Freddie Hubbard (trumpet), George Barrow (baritone saxophone), Bill Evans (piano), Paul Chambers (bass) and Roy Haynes (drums).
The result is a remarkable collection of six tunes that I might not otherwise have heard today, if not for the laborious process of adding CDs to my iPod.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home