Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Caught in the rain with Slim

The rain caught me after lunch.
It poured down so hard the wipers couldn't keep up. Pea-sized hail fell on the car, too. Across town, so much water flowed through storm sewers it popped manhole covers out of the ground.

I just sat in the car, watching the rain and listening to SLIM HARPO.

It's a little ironic: While the music world celebrates the re-release of "EXILE ON MAIN STREET" by THE ROLLING STONES, I have been listening for days to the originator of one of my favorite songs from that classic album.

"SHAKE YOUR HIPS" is also one of my favorite Harpo songs.

Excello Records released it during the MAGICAL YEAR OF 1966, between releases by two guys I've never heard -- Lazy Lester and Shy Guy Douglas.

Their songs have fallen into obscurity, while Harpo's great songs live on.

This week, one of Harpo's songs re-entered the spotlight thanks to the Stones, and kept me dry in storm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home