Tuesday, March 23, 2010

From Essex and extraordinary

In the extraordinary British sitcom I love called "GAVIN & STACEY," an ordinary English boy falls for an ordinary Welsh girl.
The show's creators decided that ordinary boy Gavin should come from an ordinary place, so they chose BILLERICAY, ESSEX.

Just south of Billericay is another ordinary town, BASILDON, but the town's most famous sons are anything but ordinary.

DEPECHE MODE provided the soundtrack to my busy day yesterday. The Basildon foursome played on my iPod as I drove around town, stopped at our house to see progress being made on our renovated bathroom and welcomed our new couch.

I also listened to Depeche Mode working out at the DUBUQUE COMMUNITY Y.

Depeche Mode have had 48 songs in the UK singles chart and I have the first 41 of those on an iPod playlist.

Oddly, for all their popularity, Depeche Mode have never topped the British charts. "People are People," "Barrel of a Gun" and "Precious" have all reached No. 4.

I capped my night by watching another "Gavin & Stacey" episode on DVD last night and thinking about the extraordinary creations of an ordinary place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home