Sunday, March 14, 2010

Championship chili

We won the TELEGRAPH HERALD EDITORIAL DEPARTMENT CHILI COOK OFF this afternoon.
It's the second time in a decade we have taken top honors.

Years ago, we won with a Cincinnati-style chili.
This year, I tried my hand at a more traditional TEXAS-STYLE CHILI. I took a recipe I found online and added a few personal twists (I love sweet peppers).
You can try this recipe at home. If you like a good, hearty and sweet-and-spicy chili, this one might be for you. I doubled the original recipe, so I hope you're hungry.


Vegetable oil

4 lbs.. stewing beef, cubed
2 cups red onion, chopped
2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 clove garlic, minced
2 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 cans beef broth
1 can/bottle dark beer (preferably Murphy's Stout)
4 canned jalapenos, seeded and chopped
1 small jar diced pimentos
1 16-oz jar Mezzetta Marinated Sweet Yellow & Red Roasted Peppers
3 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. cumin


Method: Brown beef in oil. Add onions, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté until onions soften.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home